Friday, February 3, 2012

Goliath: review


Title: Goliath (Leviathan #3)
Author: Scott Westerfeld
Genres: steampunk, science fiction, historical fiction, action
Summary: Alek and Deryn are on the last leg of their round-the-world quest to end World War I, reclaim Alek’s throne as prince of Austria, and finally fall in love. The first two objectives are complicated by the fact that their ship, the Leviathan, continues to detour farther away from the heart of the war (and crown). And the love thing would be a lot easier if Alek knew Deryn was a girl. (She has to pose as a boy in order to serve in the British Air Service.) And if they weren’t technically enemies. 


The tension thickens as the Leviathan steams toward New York City with a homicidal lunatic on board: secrets suddenly unravel, characters reappear, and nothing is at it seems in this thunderous conclusion to Scott Westerfeld’s brilliant trilogy.


IT'S SO FANTASTIC!!!!!!!

Okay, got that out.

Started it in the morning, and finished it (with a lot of unwelcome interruptions throughout the day) just as I was going to sleep. All 550 pages of it. There was never a dull moment, (although with Scott writing it, is there ever one?) and this is a good epic conclusion to the trilogy. The artwork was amazing as usual. And I think that's a huge part in understanding the series, because it really helps you visualize all these fantastical beasties and technologies.

There were some moments, (between Alek and Deryn) that made me smile, and I couldn't STOP, because it was so funny, or sweet. I got a few strange looks. But maybe that was from my uncontrollable chuckle from one of the lories comments. They tended to giggle a lot in here as well. I really need one of those...

It's awesome how lots of the world events happened, in a way, in real life, but are cleverly twisted around to make a great steampunk effect. I learned more history in here about WWI , than in any history textbook I've opened. Though, considering I've never opened one...it's fascinating anyway. He makes learning all the old political history really fun. And easier to understand.

There are quite a few historical figures who make some appearances in Goliath! It's exciting to meet them. Any guesses? ;) 

I might change this after the signing I'm going to. Scott is coming on his tour near me, and my only wish for the event, is for me to remember that it is not socially acceptable to bow in front of him, or faint. So when I get all my FIFTEEN books signed by him, I hope I don't sound like too much of a stalker.


(After the signing update: My life is complete. I can't wait for Shay's Story to come out!)


A full 5 out to 5 stars. Love every second of it.


Other books you might enjoy (besides all of Scott's other books of course) : The Illustrated Steampunk Bible

"Mr. Sharp." *chuckle*
-Jane


Fun fact! The following words were first used in the trenches of WWI, and are still used today:
Over the Top, Trench Coat, Ace, Buddy, Pushing up the Daisies, Red Tape, Zoom, Sniper, Washout, Cootie,Tune Up, In the Pink, Zero Hour, Zoom, Busted , Guy ticked Off, Put a Sock in it, Hit the Deck, Washout, Rookie, Coffin nail, Seconds, Fed Up, Rise & Shine, Pipe down, Mess up, Get knocked off, Hike, Gadget, Kick the Bucket, Rank & File, Chow Down, Bull, Cushy, Scrounge, Shot(inoculation), Humdinger, Missed the Bus, Basket Case.




No comments:

Post a Comment