Friday, March 2, 2012

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight: review


Title: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight
Author: Jennifer E. Smith
Genre: contemporary romance, YA, family
Summary:
Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18C. Hadley's in 18A. 

Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.


First off, this book is written is present tense, with third person point of view. Now, unless I am mistaken, I’ve never read a book like that before. Interesting, huh? Could be a kind of an acquired taste.

Oliver and Hadley are not blown up with crazy adjectives and musical inducing moments. (Well, no unbearably cheesy ones at least. You kind of want them to happen.) Instead the two are described so realistically—the author mentioning stains on a shirt, messed up hair, and mild vices right upon meeting. Maybe I just don’t read enough contemporary fiction and I get easily impressed with the simplicity of it all.

Hadley is claustrophobic. That personality trait is important to the plot to begin with, and vital to the development. It is described so vividly, I felt myself holding my breath alongside her at times. That may have to do with my own claustrophobia though. So, I am glad it was done well. I’ve also been on hundreds of flights and every feeling of takeoff and atmosphere of the airports is accurate and relatable. That’s a weird thing to point out, but as a traveler, that kind of setting catches my eye.

I guess the most surprising thing was how much I related to Hadley. I mean, a LOT. The emotions she went through…just one thing after another, it was a very cool experience. :)

So, if you’re a hopeless romantic, or even just enjoy a sweet story about true love, you’ll eat this up. It’s cute and loveable, the kind of book you just want to hug.

5 out of 5 stars.

If you liked this, you will like these books, and visa versa! Anna and the French Kiss, Lola and the Boy Next Door...I hesitate to say Perfect Chemistry, because I haven't actually read it, but it seems like it's in a similar category?

Thanks for reading!
-Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment