Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday 10-2-12


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish. Because they like lists. ;)

As a girl, naturally the books I lean towards are ones with a female narrator. They're more relatable to me and there's also way more of a selection than books with male povs--at least, in the YA genre. But every now and then I'll really get hooked on a book or series with the pov of a guy, so I thought I'd make a list. This is my first time participating in the Top Ten Tuesday meme.

Top Ten books/series with a male POV. (Not necessarily in a particular order.)

1. Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling - Well duh, not much explanation here needed. It's just brilliant, and I think it's so neat how attached we get to all the characters over the span of the seven years we spend with Harry and his friends.

2. The Leviathan Trilogy by Scott Westerfeld - It's narrated switching back and forth between Alek and Deryn, but the story is equally about both of them. Most of Scott's books are narrated with a female pov (Uglies, Midnighters) because he thinks boys are just stupid at that age; but this is super cool, and steampunk! It's actually the first steampunk book I've ever read, so introduced me to the genre.

3. Ender's Game/Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card - I'm sure more of his are good, but these are the only two I've read so far! Ender is a brilliant child and the way he thought fascinated me to no end!

4. Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake - Everything initially screams cliche, but then it takes a turn to thriller and it's unputdownable. Cas is cool without being stupid, and I like his unique way of life (even if he doesn't.)

5. Percy Jackson Series by Rick Riordan - Even though I read these as a younger middle-grader, I still enjoy the follow up series, with appearances from Percy and co.

6. Eragon by Christopher Paolini - I finally started the last book last night...my hands hurt within one minute of reading, because its like three inches thick. But this is a classic fantasy series with everything in it including an elven princess that needs saving.

7. Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater - My first book of Maggie's, and at first I was annoyed that the point of views went back and forth between Sam and Grace, but as soon as I got to know Sam, I realized he is one of my favorite love interests in fiction. Their relationship is one of the purest I know from the books I've read.

8. The Giver by Lois Lowry - Just reread it, and remembered (and probably fully realized) how great the dystopian setting is. It's a read for all ages without doubt, and even though Jonas is so young, twelve, you can still completely connect with him and his decisions.

9. Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer - These books I can reread any time and still love them. They're funny, adventurous, narrated by a rather arrogant young man, and bring the meaning of fairy to the next level.

10. The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud - It took my brother literally years to convince me to read these books. He isn't much of a reader to begin with, so I knew there had to be something special here. Once I got into them, I found myself laughing out loud at the constant sarcastic footnotes and read all of the books, (set in an alternate-universe London) quickly.

How do you like my selection? I highly recommend every single one! And that list was easier to compile than I had feared.

-Jane


1 comment:

  1. The Giver! Had to read that back in school, and that's when I fell in love with reading :) Plus.. after I read it, I kept looking for books similar to it, not knowing they were called dystopian, and could never find any. Now they're everywhere!

    ReplyDelete