Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Recent Favorite Standalones



Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish. Because they like lists. ;)

Standalones are fun even though I prefer series. Every now and then I find this awesome which I just hug and hug and convince everyone to read. I'll try to come up with 10, but we'll see:

1) Forgotten by Cat Patrick: It's at the top for a reason, I love love this book. It's short, unknown about, and utterly unique. It takes a while to get used to the main character remembering her life backwards...but it's completely worth it.

2) Shift by Em Bailey: Shift is her debut and only book at the moment. If you're looking for something you won't easily be able to describe or explain, maybe some sci-fi psychological twist...then read this.

3) The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak: No explanation needed.

4) I Am the Messenger by Marcus Zusak: Almost as good as tBT and it has a cool ending. Also, there's like a moral message that made me feel happy while reading. And sad.

5) So Yesterday by Scott Westerfeld: Besides the fact that Scott is one of my favorite authors ever, it's a great different read. My brother just listened to it on audiobook and he really liked it too. And now I want to go re-lace my shoes like in the book.

6) Harbinger by Sarah Wilson Etienne: One of those *weird* books that never quite settles right. It's far fetched but drastically fascinating. It sucked me in on the first page.

7) The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater: Magical realism rocks! And so does Maggie. Anyone who likes horse books, and especially those who don't (like me) will love this. The mythology and her writing are beautifully crafted.

8) Fateful by Claudia Gray: Werewolves on the Titanic. Need I say more? Didn't think so.

9) Wanderlove by Kristin Hubbard: Inspired me to go backpacking. I leave for Europe in six months.

10) For Darkness Shows the Stars by Dianna Peterfreund: Waiiit...okay apparently this is a series, but I think the other books might be just vaguely related, like Sarah Dessen's books? I sure hope so!


All it took was a look around my room! Totally didn't expect to come up with all ten. :)

-Jane

2 comments:

  1. I loved this post. Aside from a few I have not read any of these but you made me want to read them all. The Book Thief will be on the top of my read list and it will be my number one book to read next year. I would also like to mention one of my favorite books also here. Hope so it will be very useful for the medical students.

    Mosby's Textbook For Nursing Assistants 8Th Edition

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! It seems difficult to come across stand alone books these days, but your list reminds me that there are some pretty wonderful ones. I loved The Book Thief!! A lot of those are on my TBR list, like The Scorpio Races and Wanderlove.

    ReplyDelete