Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Goddess Inheritance: review

Warning: The following review contains spoilers for the first two books in The Goddess Test series, so read no further if you plan to read these books! :)

Title: The Goddess Inheritance (The Goddess Test #3)
Author: Aimee Carter
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Release Date: February 26th, 2013
Rating: 4.5 stars
Summary: During nine months of captivity, Kate Winters has survived a jealous goddess, a vengeful Titan and a pregnancy she never asked for. Now the Queen of the Gods wants her unborn child, and Kate can't stop her--until Cronus offers a deal.

In exchange for her loyalty and devotion, the King of the Titans will spare humanity and let Kate keep her child. Yet even if Kate agrees, he'll destroy Henry, her mother and the rest of the council. And if she refuses, Cronus will tear the world apart until every last god and mortal is dead.

With the fate of everyone she loves resting on her shoulders, Kate must do the impossible: find a way to defeat the most powerful being in existence, even if it costs her everything.

Even if it costs her eternity.


   I really wasn't sure what to expect in this book. Honestly, the previous book had been a bit of a disappointment. However, I am super glad The Goddess Inheritance was not a disappointment. I loved it just as much as the first book, The Goddess Test, and the ending is pretty perfect.

   Things finally get cleared up in here, communication wise. That must have been my biggest pet peeve when reading this series. The lack of communication is astounding, and even though I know that's what makes a good story, it was just too much for me sometimes. In here though, feelings and sides are finally open to each other, and someone (coughHenrycough) budges out of his awkward stilted language enough times to actually act normal and loving to Kate.

   Within the first chapter, Kate has her baby, who I shall call 'The Kid' to avoid spoilers. I was initally surprised some dramatic event happened so early, but then I realized that the plot of the whole book is about saving The Kid so to say, then that made total sense.

   The gods and their loyalties are like a game of chess. It was hard at times to keep track of who was on who's side, especially with their 'human' names they use over their original Greek ones. But for the most part, I kept reading along happily, jumping at every unexpected turn of events and not trying to figure out how it would all end, because the story twisted around so much, there's no way you can guess what's going to happen next.

   I lied a little bit there. Very early on in the book, something not-so-happy happened which made me literally scream with anger and throw the book down. But then once I ranted on Goodreads about it, a kind soul (who had finished) comforted me to keep reading, and so I did. Five pages later all was relatively okay again, but it did give me a scare about the character's fates...and that wasn't the only time.

   Kate is a really strong heroine. Her fault is her martyr complex, which even James points out a few times, but it's also her strong point. As much as I usually hate these kind of selfish sacrifices (don't read into that too much) Kate brings out the good in the trait; she loves her friends and family so much, she's willing to do literally anything to keep them alive. I'd probably do the same. The only part I couldn't relate to was her obsession to The Kid. I completely understood it, but personally couldn't put myself in her shoes for things about The Kid.

   In this conclusion to The Goddess Test series, the action and suspense is non-stop, and the stakes are as high as ever as Cronus and the gods of Olympus have their final stand off. Surprises met me in every chapter, and I'm sad to see the series end. A must read series for all fans of mythology.

-Jane




2 comments:

  1. Have read the first book in this trilogy and can't wait to read the rest of this trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to read this series soon! I have one of them but need the rest! Thanks for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete