Friday, May 3, 2013

Clockwork Princess: review

Warning: Major spoilers for the first two books, Clockwork Angel, and Clockwork Prince, so don't read even to the summary below, if you don't want the plot ruined! :) Go read the first two, and then come back.

Title: Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices #3)
Rating: 5 stars
Source: bought hardback from Changing Hands Bookstore 
Summary: Tessa Gray should be happy - aren't all brides happy?
Yet as she prepares for her wedding, a net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute.
A new demon appears, one linked by blood and secrecy to Mortmain, the man who plans to use his army of pitiless automatons, the Infernal Devices, to destroy the Shadowhunters. Mortmain needs only one last item to complete his plan. He needs Tessa. And Jem and Will, the boys who lay equal claim to Tessa's heart, will do anything to save her.


   Love triangles are overdone, and usually a pain in the ass to read about, in my opinion. But for Clockwork Princess, I have to admit, it's probably the most well done conclusion to a love triangle that I've ever read. No doubt the most unique.

   The one single part of CP that disappointed me was Jessamine. It did take me 100 pages in to realize she was missing though. (I think of her as a vintage Isabelle.) Jessamine only has about, oh, three pages in the whole book. She is crucially important in one way, but other than that, I think Cassie just didn't have a place to put her anymore. And I respect that, even though I was a little sad about it, I'm glad she didn't drag unnecessary characters around because it would have felt less natural.

   For the past two books, my friend and I have made snarky-mean comments on how similar this series is to the Mortal Instruments series. Well, for me (my friend has yet to read it) CP finally broke that mirror, and I was able to appreciate it without constantly comparing it to MI books. Anyway, a shit load of stuff happens in here, and branches off in so many directions, I'm not surprised it's gained independence. I liked it so much more than Clockwork Angel and Clockwork Prince.

   Many scenes remind me of Gothic novels, like Jane Eyre, which Tessa actually referred to a handful of times, among others. I like the dreary 1800's London weather, it just made the whole book have an on-edge feel to it, as characters race on horseback across rainy countrysides in order to save--oh wait, I can't tell you that part.

   One of the similarities to MI is Will, and Jace. Of course. But now that I've finished CP I don't find them remotely of the same character. I could easily say Jace is more like Gabriel Lightwood (who was hilarious in here, by the way) or maybe a mix of Gabriel and Will. But my opinion has definitely changed. No offense to either of them, but while Jace may be the greatest Shadowhunter of his generation, Will is the smartest of his. Their wit it pretty well matched, just in different ways.

   I like Will as a love interest. (I don't really have much of an opinion of Jem, sorry, but I can't say any of the things I would like to express anyway without HUGE spoilers. But I do like his character.) Back to Will though, I admire his admiration for great literature and poetry, even if his own poetry sucks. I loved and hated that he identified with Sydney Carton from A Tale of Two Cities which I really should read soon too. I just think he is a very good character who develops greatly along the series.

   And Magnus. There would be no Cassie Clare book complete with the awesome Magnus Bane. He's in here lots! And is actually kind of nice in many parts. Mostly. I never get tired of him though, rude Warlock or nice friend. I hope all works out for him and Alec...no, I can't think of that right now...

   As I'm writing this, I'm realizing more and more how little I can actually write in this review without spoilers. Because SO much happened between the 560+ pages, and like all of these great secrets were finally revealed...well, you will just have to read it yourself to find out! 

   A splendid ending to the series, and I can only hope the ending to the Mortal Instruments series, City of Heavenly Fire, will be just as satisfying.

-Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment